Note: I know this is weird, but I kind of like my biscotti to be a little soft and chewy on the inside, not rock hard. So, if you like yours harder, bake them longer the second time around.
¼ cup chopped pistachios
¼ cup dried cranberries or cherries
To coat in chocolate, melt either in a double boiler:
- 6-oz dark chocolate wafers
- 6-oz white chocolate wafers
… dip the cooled biscotti into the melted chocolate and set on a wire rack to harden.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups (384 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugars until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and blend again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the sliced almonds. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and blend on low-speed until just combined.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and divide into two equal portions. Plop one portion onto a parchment paper- or Silpat- lined baking sheet. Form into a longish rectangle about an inch high. Repeat with remaining log. If you have the time, chill logs for an hour. (At this point, too, the logs can be wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled for as long as 3 days (maybe longer…never tried it).)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the logs are evenly golden brown. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully transfer logs to a cutting board. Cut the log crosswise on a slight bias (or not) with a sharp knife or a bench scraper. Lay the cut slices on their sides on the baking sheet. Return pan to the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the biscotti cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooking rack. Cool completely.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: biscotti, vanilla, almond, cookie, breakfast