Adapted from a recipe printed in a summer 2007 Martha Stewart LivingFor the recipe doubled, which was how it was printed, visit the Martha Stewart Living Web Site.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small egg or ½ a large egg
- 6–10 plums depending on the size, halved and pitted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pans
- Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Butter a nine-inch round cake pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the 3/8 cup sugar, milk, oil and egg. Fold into the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan. Arrange plums, cut side up over batter.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and sprinkle over the plums. Dot with butter. Bake until tops are dark golden, plums are soft and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes