So, I sort of have this habit. I tend to add cheese to every salad I make. In large quantities. And often nuts, too. And maybe dried fruit if I don’t have any fresh on hand. I tend to turn salads into mini meals themselves, even when, as I often am, just serving them on the side.
For whatever reason, I refrained from adding more than what was prescribed in this recipe: melon, cucumber, lettuce and a mint vinaigrette. And I’m so glad I did. This salad does not need anything else. It is light, refreshing, summery — perfect as is. Thank you Sarah Cain at the Fair Food Farmstand 2,378 miles away in Philadelphia for supplying such a wonderful recipe in the weekly “At the Farmstand” email.
Now, for my friends out there looking for simple recipes, this one is for you. If you can chop up a melon and a cucumber, you can make this dish. The dressing is made right in the jar, which means no whisking and minimal cleaning. I love it, and you will too.
The dressing for this salad is made right in the jar: Equal parts vinegar and oil along with a pinch of sugar and salt, a dab of mustard and tons of mint and parsley combine to make a bright and flavorful dressing.
Cucumber And Melon Salad with Mint Vinaigrette
Yield 4 servings
Recipe Courtesy of Sarah Cain, Supervisor of the Fair Food Farmstand in Philadelphia
Great with a grilled meat, especially lamb.
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of best white wine vinegar (I used rice vinegar and loved it.)
- ½ teaspoon of dijon style mustard
- 3 tablespoons of finely minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced parsley
- big pinch of sugar
- big pinch of salt
- 2-3 cups mixed honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients. Shake like crazy. Let stand a room temp for 40 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Meanwhile, combine the melon, greens and cucumber in a large bowl. (I also added some more mint and parsley (roughly chopped) to the salad.)
- Shake the dressing vigorously before pouring just enough to moisten the chunks of melon, greens and cucumbers.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @alexandracooks on Instagram and hashtag it #alexandracooks.