Adapted From This YouTube Video
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, whisked lightly
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice (or orange juice)
- 1½ tsp. lemon extract (or vanilla extract)
- ¼ tsp. lemon zest (or orange zest)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Slowly add the whisked eggs to the mixture and beat until combined. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the mixer. (The recipe says to start and end with flour, but I’m not sure there is any science behind that.) Add the lemon juice, extract and zest, and mix just until combined.
- If making this layer cake, coat a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray (or butter liberally). Pour half of the batter into the pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Note: If you have two pans, bake the cakes simultaneously. If you have only one pan, repeat with remaining batter. Alternatively, bake all the batter at once. The cake will take longer to bake and might not bake as evenly, but it certainly can be done.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes