A few notes: This cake sinks way down as it cools. Don’t worry. It will still be one of the most delicious cakes you have ever tasted. It is so moist. Also, this is one of those cakes that seems to get better by the day. Don’t be afraid to make it a day early if serving for company.
- Butter for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups (195 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cups (380 g) sugar
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (the juice from about 2 oranges)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter a springform pan (or pans) or a 9-inch cake pan. (If using a cake pan, place a round of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan.)
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until blended, then gradually add in the sugar, beating until thick. The mixture will be pale yellow. In a separate bowl, whisk the zest, juice and oil. Add to the egg mixture in thirds alternating with the flour mixture.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over top before cutting and serving.