- two slices of bread, bakery-style bread (French, Italian)
- 1 clove garlic, gently smashed and sliced in half
- 1 tomato
- extra-virgin olive oil, use a good one (Temecula Olive Oil Company Citrus Reserve)
- nice salt
- a few thin slices of jamón Iberico or prosciutto di Parma or Serrano ham
- a few thin slices of cheese, such as Mahon or Manchego or Zamorano
- Toast or grill the bread. I grilled it, but that was mostly to get the pretty grill marks for the picture. Toasting would be simpler and just as effective.
- Rub each slice of bread with the cut garlic.
- Cut the tomato in half (or cut off one-third of it). Squeeze the tomato over each slice making them nice and juicy. Drizzle each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Top with a few slices of the ham. Lay each piece down one at a time, allowing the meat to sort of form ripples so air pockets form between the layers. Top with the cheese. Close the sandwich and eat.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes