These 5-ingredient homemade flour tortillas couldn’t be easier to make, and they are so much tastier than store-bought tortillas. Bonus: you know exactly what is in them — store-bought tortillas are loaded with ingredients.
- If you want to use sourdough discard in this recipe, follow the instructions on this post.
- If you want to make a bean and cheese burrito, simply heat up some refried beans, spoon them into a tortilla, top with grated cheese, wrap up, and either eat immediately or wrap in foil and warm in a 350ºF oven for 15 minutes.
- 2 scant cups (256 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (7 g) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (152 g) lukewarm water
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the softened butter and use the back of a fork to blend it into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the 2/3 cup lukewarm water with a fork until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly, 1-2 minutes or until the dough comes together — it’s OK if it’s a little sticky still.
- Cut the dough into 2-oz. pieces for taco-sized tortillas or 3-oz pieces for burrito-sized tortillas. You will have 10 small pieces or 5 larger pieces. Shape pieces into a ball using flour as needed.
- Cover with a very light kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Be careful that your room isn’t too hot. Let the dough rest 30 minutes and up to two hours (at room temperature or 24 hours in the fridge. If you need to store the dough in the fridge, transfer balls to an airtight container.)
- Roll out each ball to about 6 – 8 inches (taco) or 10 to 12 inches (burrito) in diameter, or till you can see the counter start to come through — in other words, roll them as thinly as you are able.
- Heat a 12 inch non-stick or cast-iron pan (do not add any oil) on medium-high. Lay the tortilla in the pan and cook until it puffs and little brown spots on the underside appear. Turn with tongs or your fingers and cook again till lightly brown. Each tortilla takes about 60 seconds. You don’t really want the tortilla to brown at all.
- Use immediately or let cool completely; then transfer to an airtight bag.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Flat Bread
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: homemade, flour, tortillas, easy