- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 2 T. Sugar
- 1½ T. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar or Gruyère (or any cheese you like)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the cheese and toss to coat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour into a 9-inch springform pan and swirl the pan to coat. Add the batter to the pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 55 minutes, until golden on top. (Check after 50 minutes). Place on cooling rack. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.