I’ve recently updated/simplified the recipe. Some notes:
- If you liked the original dressing that called for reducing fresh orange juice, check out this Saveur recipe. The recipe below now simply calls for fresh orange juice, vinegar, shallots, and olive oil, and no reducing of the juice is required.
- Because some people don’t love wasting so much salt for the salt-roasted method, I’ve included a steam-roasted method below as well.
- To toast the walnuts, place them on a sheet pan and roast them at 375ºF — you can do this after the beets are removed — for 8 minutes or until they are being to smell and look toasty.
- 1.5 to 2 lbs. beets, washed, greens removed
- kosher salt, if doing the salt-roasted method
- a few sprigs thyme and rosemary, optional
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallot
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- juice of one orange, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- goat cheese, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup walnuts, see notes above
- greens, about 5 ounces
- chives, snipped with scissors or finely chopped
- To Salt-Roast the Beets: Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Pour kosher salt into a shallow roasting vessel to make a thin layer. (See photo to help estimate how much.) Place beets on salt bed. If using herbs, nestle a few sprigs among the beets. Cover pan tightly with foil and place in oven for about one hour, depending on how many and how big your beets are. Note: To test for doneness, remove foil and slip a pairing knife into one of the beets. If the knife meets little resistance, they are done. When beets are done, remove foil covering and let them cool. When cool enough to handle, rub off the skins and discard. Cut beets into 6ths or 8ths, and transfer to a bowl.
- To Steam-Roast the Beets: Heat the oven to 375ºF. Nestle the beets into a small roasting vessel, such as an 8- or 9-inch round or square baking dish. Pour in 1/2 cup water. Cover with foil. Transfer to the oven for 1 hour. To test for doneness, remove foil and slip a pairing knife into one of the beets. If the knife meets little resistance, they are done. When beets are done, remove foil covering and let them cool. When cool enough to handle, rub off the skins and discard. Cut beets into 6ths or 8ths, and transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Place the shallots, vinegar, juice, and salt in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil. Taste. Adjust with more olive oil to taste — there should be nice balance of sweet and sharp in the dressing, and it will be on the thin side. Adjust with salt to taste.
- To assemble the salad, arrange greens in a large, shallow bowl. Drizzle lightly with the dressing. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss gently. Season the beets with salt to taste. Drizzle lightly with the dressing and toss gently. Arrange the dressed beets over the greens. Sprinkle the walnuts over top. Crumble the goat cheese over top. Sprinkle the chives over top and season with freshly cracked pepper to taste. Resist the urge to toss — beets will turn the salad into a big red mess. Note: If you don’t care about looks, go ahead, toss everything together.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salt-roasted, beet, salad