Inspired by this recipe in Bon Appetit Original recipe hails from Tazzaria Note: I made a batch of the muffin batter and baked off a muffin a day in a paper-lined ramekin. The batter tasted as good on day 8 as it did on day 1. It’s nice to know you can do this with muffin batter.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray or paper muffin liners
- 2 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats (I have had success with all varieties of oats including using as much as a cup of steel cut oats)
- 1 cup whole wheat or white flour
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons natural oat bran (if you have it)
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (if you have it)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8 large muffin cups (1-cup capacity) or 18 standard muffin cups (1/3-cup capacity) with nonstick spray, or line them with paper muffin liners. (Note: I baked off these muffins in paper-lined ramekins. It worked beautifully.)
- Whisk oats and next 9 ingredients in large bowl. Add buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla; whisk to blend. Stir in 1/3 cup boiling water and let stand 5 minutes. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake muffins until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 28 minutes for large muffins and 20 minutes for standard muffins. Cool 10 minutes. Turn muffins out onto rack; cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.