Zucchini Fritters with Tzatziki
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A combination of grated zucchini and potato with a little diced onion bound by a single egg gives these zucchini fritters a lovely texture, not unlike a traditional latke. The addition of lemon zest and lots of herbs, moreover, give them a freshness and lightness that makes them irresistible.
I like serving these fritters with tzatziki, but a squeeze of lemon does the job, too. Give them a whirl! I know you’ll like them.Print
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated potato
- kosher salt
- pinch of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (or whatever herb you like)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint (or whatever herb you like)
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 T. finely diced red onion
- 1 T. chopped mint
- kosher salt
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Place the grated zucchini and potato in a colander. Spread the veggies out to allow for maximum surface area exposure and sprinkle all over with kosher salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki, if desired: Stir together yogurt, onion, mint, salt and lemon juice. Taste. Add more salt if necessary. Chill until ready to use.
- After the 30 minutes, squeeze veggies out and wrap in paper towels. Squeeze again. [Note: The veggies will not drain out enough liquid on their own in the collander, so squeezing them with a paper towel is a critical step to mopping up that moisture.] Open up the paper towel and spread out your veggies. Sprinkle with a pinch of flour to soak up leftover moisture.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, herbs and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onion and grated zucchini-potato mixture. Stir well.
- Preheat over to 200˚F. Place a foil-lined cookie sheet in the oven. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter. When foam subsides, drop a spoonful of your fritter batter in. Gently pat with a spatula to flatten out the fritters, which will help make them crispy.
- Cook about 3 fritters at a time until golden brown on each side. Place fritters in the oven while you make additional pancakes. Serve as soon as possible with tzatziki on the side.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fritter, zucchini