From David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- big pinch salt (I used kosher)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups créme fraíche
- Prepare a medium-sized bowl with a mesh strainer over the top and set it in an ice bath.
- Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir until cool over an ice bath. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Once cool, whisk in the crème fraîche, then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Note: Mine thickened up really quickly. After about 12 minutes, I stopped my machine.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ice cream, creme fraiche, dessert