*I prefer making this dressing with white balsamic vinegar as opposed to lemon juice, which is what the original recipe calls for. It is so easy and delicious. Original recipe, from Tartine Bread, also calls for making this in a mortar and pestle. Do that, if you are comfortable. This can also be made in a food processor.
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 olive oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 1 large egg yolk
- kosher salt
- 1 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Mince the garlic and anchovies together on a cutting board. Add a pinch of salt, and mince further. Every so often, using the side of your knife, drag the mixture against the cutting board to create a paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk in the egg yolk and the 1/4 cup white balsamic. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until a thick dressing forms. Taste the dressing and add more salt or vinegar to taste. Add water, a small spoonful at a time, stirring to thin dressing to the consistency of heavy cream.