- 2 10oz. pkg of baby spinach or 3 6oz pkgs (about 20 oz total)
- 16 oz. cottage cheese (small curd)
- 3 8-oz. pkgs feta (24 oz. total)
- 10 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 pkg fillo dough (20–28 layers)
- 3 sticks butter (gasp! melted)
- Chop up baby spinach — you can do this very quickly in the food processor. Just do a rough chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, feta cheese (break this into pieces) and eggs. You can whisk this all together or use a spatula.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a large roasting pan. Use about two sheets of fillo per layer — they’ll overlap a little bit, but you need about two to cover the surface of the pan. In between each layer, spoon three teaspoons (an eating spoon vs. a measuring spoon) of the butter over the layer of fillo. You don’t have to brush it or make sure that every bit of the dough is covered with butter. The finished spanakopita is actually lighter when you don’t brush the dough with butter. Depending on how many layers of dough your box of fillo has, layer half of the number of sheets in the pan to form the bottom layer of the spanakopita. Pour the filling over top. Repeat layering the fillo dough on top of the filling with butter in between each layer until you are out of dough. Brush the top layer with butter. Bake at 350ºF for 1 hour.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: spanakopita, spinach, feta, vegetarian, Greek