This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
In the wonderful world of crumb-topped, baked-fruit desserts, buckles are new to me. And I’m a fan. I love how the sandy, buttery topping melts into the stewed fruit, which all sinks — buckles! — into the base. And I like that I can eat it as I would a brownie, out of hand, making for easy snacking morning, noon and night.
Martha said it best: “This dessert belongs in everyone’s outdoor entertaining file.”
This batter, made with eggs, sour cream and melted butter yields the perfect base — not too cakey, not too crisp, a slightly sweet, perfectly sturdy layer that really allows the rhubarb to shine.
If you are not a fan of rhubarb or if you blink and miss rhubarb season altogether, don’t despair. I suspect blueberries and peaches and every other wonderful stone fruit and berry will make dream-worthy buckles all summer long.
How to Make a Rhubarb Buckle
Gather your ingredients:
First: stir together the crumb topping: brown sugar, flour, melted butter and a pinch of salt.
Next, whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
Add sour cream, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
Stir to combine.
Fold in the rhubarb.
Transfer batter to a buttered and parchment-lined 9-inch pan.
Top with the crumb topping; then transfer to the oven.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until evenly golden and an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
Let cool briefly before cutting and serving.Print
This is an updated post from two older posts. If you are looking for the old recipe that called for a shortbread crust, find it here.
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup (64 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the buckle:
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 cups (192 g) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz (3 cups) diced rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350ºF with rack in center position. Line a 9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, pinch salt, and 4 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to the fridge.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the baking powder, 1.5 cups flour, salt, and sugar. Add the 4 tablespoons melted butter, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Fold in the diced rhubarb.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Top with crumb topping. Transfer to the oven until crumb topping is golden and cake is done, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan before cutting and serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven/Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb, buckle, summer, entertaining