- roasted red peppers*, about 4 whole, cut into slivers
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. linguine** (or less — I used about 6 oz of dried fresh linguini)
- kosher salt
- 6 oz. crabmeat — this Wild Planet Dungeness is fantastic
- big bunch fresh basilfresh cracked pepper if desired
*You could certainly use jarred, which would save time, but if you have the time, make them from scratch — they’re so easy and delicious!
**Use whatever shape pasta you like.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a big pinch of kosher salt. (I add about a tablespoon). Place the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small skillet and turn heat to high. When the oil and garlic begin to sizzle, turn off the heat. (If you have an electric burner, as I do, remove pan from the heat source if the garlic begins to brown.)
- Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Immediately toss with the garlic-red pepper flake oil. Add the sliced roasted red peppers, crab meat and fresh basil to the bowl. Toss together. Taste. Add some of the reserved pasta cooking liquid if necessary. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.