Apple Dutch Baby (Big Apple Pancake)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is one of the most fun recipes to prepare as it comes together in just minutes, puffs dramatically in the oven, and feeds four comfortably (so long as you provide some bacon or sausage on the side.)
This past weekend’s pancake came out better than the first, namely because I followed the instructions and made the effort to pulse the flour-egg-milk mixture in the food processor rather than just whisk by hand, which left the batter extremely lumpy. I also doubled the amount of apple this time around, ensuring that loads of tender apple slices filled every bite.
I love this recipe, but I find the name to be a bit of a misnomer — it tastes nothing like a pancake to me, leaving my pancake-making woes to persist. Alas, with a new delicious addition to the morning repertoire, I have no complaints. Hope you all had a nice weekend.
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet apple such as Honey Crisp, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 cup (64 grams) all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Melt butter in a 9-inch oven-safe skillet over moderate heat, then transfer 2 tablespoons to a blender or food processor. Add apple wedges to skillet and cook, turning over once, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. (They don’t need to caramelize, just soften.)
- While apple is cooking, add milk, flour, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt to butter in blender and blend until smooth. (Do do this step — I didn’t the first time around and the batter was really lumpy.)
- Pour batter over apple and transfer skillet to oven. Bake until pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple, Dutch, baby, pancake, big, skillet, cast iron, fall