Adapted slightly from Sally Schneider’s A New Way to Cook This is a nice dish to have all of your ingredients prepped ahead: chop your shallots; have your sherry and sherry vinegar measured out; etc.
- 3 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly cracked pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive, grapeseed or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup medium-sweet sherry (I use Harvey’s Bristol Cream dry sherry)
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 – 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup drained and coarsley chopped peeled plum tomatoes (I like Pomi Chopped Tomatoes — see photo)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Season chicken all over with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a skillet and sear chicken until golden on each side. Add more oil as needed waorking in batches.
- Reduce heat and sauté shallots, covered until softened; uncover and sauté until golden brown. Add sherry and deglaze; reduce by half. Add vinegar and sugar and reduce by half. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, mustard, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs and legs, partially cover and cook 7 mins. Add breasts and wings (if using), cover and simmer 20 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Simmer sauce 10 mins or until slightly thickened and flavors are rich and mellow. Return chicken to pan and heat through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes