Roasted Parsnips with Chili-Honey Butter
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Many of you may have seen this recipe in this month’s Bon Appetit. The recipe calls for making a spicy-sweet butter to drizzle over the just-roasted parsnips.
Sure, anything would taste pretty good once drizzled with chili-honey-butter, but sometimes vegetables need a little help — I could eat these every night. This flavored butter also calls for a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which adds a really nice bite.
I have used maple syrup in place of the honey, and recently, I have been using crushed red pepper flakes in place of the chiles de arbol, mostly for simplicity.
ALSO: I no longer peel parsnips. Just give them a scrub, trim the ends, and you’re good to go.
Here’s the chile-honey butter made with chiles de árbol:
This is the chile-honey butter made with crushed red pepper flakes:
UPDATE: I no longer peel parsnips … it’s just not necessary.Print
Adapted from: Bon Appetit
When I made these most recently, I didn’t peel them — it’s not necessary! If your parsnips are especially dirty, just give them a good scrub.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled (or not! see notes above), cut into 3” lengths, halved, or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste) or 2 chiles de árbol, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss parsnips and oil on a rimmed baking sheet (parchment-lined for easy cleanup); season with salt and pepper. (For every pound of parsnips, I use 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Parsnips can handle salt.) Roast parsnips for 20 minutes. Flip, and roast for another 10 minutes or until the parsnips are deeply golden in spots.
- Meanwhile, heat chiles de árbol or crushed red pepper flakes, butter, vinegar, and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted.
- Drizzle chile-honey butter over parsnips and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Season with sea salt. Taste. Add more sea salt as necessary.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted, parsnips, chile, butter, honey, spicy, simple