Source: The My New Roots cookbook
- 2 lbs. of a mix of turnips and beets
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs dill (optional)
- Slice the turnips and beets into batons about the size of large French fries.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt with 2 cups of water. Stir to combine and dissolve the salt.
- Place the turnips, beets, garlic and dill into one large (1 qt) jar or a couple of smaller jars. Pour the pickling liquid overtop. Cover the jar with a tight-fitting lid and keep at room temperature for a week (or a day) before eating. Store for 6 weeks.