Adapted from The Zuni Café Cookbook
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups mild-tasting olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped herbs (parsley, chervil, chives, tarragon, etc)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- Place the egg in a small pot of barely simmering water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 4 minutes. Drain, and leave to cool in a bowl of ice water.
- When the egg is cool, crack it and scrape into the bowl of a food processor. Add a pinch of salt and the mustard. Start the processor, then add the oil in a thin stream through the tiny hole of the food pusher insert. Stop adding oil when the mayonnaise is satiny and has lots of body, like hot fudge sauce. Stir in the shallots, herbs and capers. Add vinegar and salt to taste.