Source: Chez Panisse Vegetables
As noted above, this dressing is great as a dip for crisp vegetables or wedges of little gem lettuces or tossed with any greens for a simple salad.
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ lemon
- ½ lime
- 2 anchovies, finely minced, optional—I never use anchovies anymore
- 1 avocado
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup cream, optional—I never use the cream anymore
- a ton (at least 1 cup) of chopped herbs such as parsley, tarragon, cilantro, basil, and chives
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and chop fine the shallot and garlic and macerate in the vinegar, a big squeeze of lemon, and a smaller one of lime. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the anchovy, if using, and the flesh of the avocado. Mash together with a fork. Whisking with the fork, gradually incorporate the olive oil and cream (if using) – as if you were making a thin mayonnaise.
- Add the herbs. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt (1/4 teaspoon at a time), pepper, or more vinegar if necessary.