I love the early summer CSA deliveries, which often include lots of delicate lettuces: mixed greens, arugula, tatsoi, all of which are so tasty on their own. For these tender greens, there is no better dressing, I think, than a simple shallot vinaigrette.
To make a large-batch shallot vinaigrette, use these proportions:
- 3 to 4 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar, my preference is Colavita
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil, my preference is California Olive Ranch
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallots
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar, I like Colavita brand
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
In a small bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk in olive oil. Taste. Adjust seasoning with more salt if necessary or more oil for a little less bite. Store in a glass jar. Shake well before using.