Notes: I’ve made this with as much as 2.5 lbs. of butternut squash post peeling. I’ve never made this with chicken or vegetable stock—I’ve only used water—but I imagine either of those stocks would add even more flavor. The leek garnish is delicious but totally optional—confession: I never actually made it until it was time to take photos.
If you don’t have a slow-cooker, I think you could make this stovetop—simmer everything until the squash and carrots are cooked through. With a faster cooking time, I would suggest using vegetable or chicken stock.
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped or 1 leek (white part only, rinsed and roughly chopped)
- 1 apple, any kind you like, roughly chopped, no need to peel (I’ve been using Honey Crisp or Fuji)
- 1 medium (or a couple small) carrots, roughly chopped
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, plus more to tastefor the garnish:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leeks, white part only, rinsed if necessary
- pinch sea salt
- Place the squash, onion or leek, apple, carrot, and water or stock in a slow cooker. If using water, add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. If using stock, add a pinch of salt, then adjust at the end. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the squash and carrots are cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Puree the soup in the slow cooker with an immersion blender until smooth (or in a stand blender in batches.) Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. I consistently add 3/4 cup coconut milk (total) and another teaspoon of kosher salt, but make your adjustments to taste.
- For the garnish, which is optional: Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the oil and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- To serve, pour the soup into 6 serving bowls and garnish with the crispy leeks. Drizzle with more coconut milk if desired. I like lots of cracked black pepper over top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut, squash, apple, soup, vegan, coconut, milk, carrot