This dish was inspired by a recipe in the March 2017 Bon Appetit that calls for marinating chicken thighs in mayonnaise (and a few other ingredients I did not have on hand), which encourages browning while keeping the meat juicy — it works!
There’s no marinating here, however — everything gets thrown into the pan at once, and 45 minutes later it emerges beautifully golden. A shower of herbs at the end adds some welcomed color and freshness.
Re: potatoes, I’ve been using a 1.5-ib bag of “Honey Golds—One Bite” that I find at my local grocery store. You can use fingerlings, too, but you should halve them lengthwise to ensure they cook through.
- 1.5 pounds small potatoes, see notes above
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced, to yield about a cup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- A few tablespoons finely chopped herbs, such as tarragon, chives, or parsley
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 450ºF. Place the potatoes, onion, olive oil, and water in a large skillet. Season all over with salt. Crack pepper over top to taste. Toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and the mustard. Add the chicken thighs and toss to coat on all sides. Season all over with salt and pepper. Nestle the thighs on top of/in between the potatoes. Crack more pepper over top if you wish.
- Transfer pan to the oven uncovered and cook for 45 minutes or until evenly golden, checking after 30 minutes to ensure everything is browning evenly — if the onions are getting too dark, add a few more tablespoons of water to the pan.
- Sprinkle tarragon or herb of choice all over the roasted chicken and potatoes. Transfer chicken to a platter. Toss potatoes with herbs and remaining juices in the pan. Taste. Adjust with more salt or pepper if necessary. Spoon potatoes around chicken on the platter. Serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: one-pan, chicken, potatoes, roast, tarragon, easy