Last Friday, my neighbor Sandra had me over for dinner. When I arrived through the back porch, I followed a whirring sound into the kitchen, where I found Sandra standing in front of her blender with Julia Turshen’s Small Victories beside her, the page open to a recipe for “Paloma Slushies.”
Yes, I thought. But also: trouble. Long story short, by the end of the night, Sandra and I had polished off the serves-four batch of the tequila cocktail, and at one point, I told her I loved bulldozers, as I pet her bulldog, who sat by my feet. Cheers.
Continue reading on Food52 or skip to the recipe below.Print
Adapted from the recipe for Paloma Slushies in Julia Turshen’s Small Victories, which calls for grapefruit juice as opposed to strawberries. If you want to make a blueberry and grapefruit version (to make a patriotic trio for the Fourth), see this recipe on Food52.
As with cooking, drink making requires adjusting to taste. Depending on how sweet your strawberries are, you may need more or less honey (or agave) or fresh lime. Also, depending on the size of your blender, you may need to add the strawberries in batches, and you may need to add the ice in batches as well. It all works out in the end, just be mindful of your blender’s capacity.
- 4 limes
- 1/4 cup (85 g) honey or agave syrup, see notes above
- 3 to 4 cups strawberries
- 1 cup (240 ml) tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups (720) ice cubes
- Peel three of the limes by lopping off the tops and the bottoms of each one, cutting just deep enough to expose the fruit beneath the pith. Stand each lime on your cutting board—it should be nice and steady. Cut the remaining peel and pith off the lime in wide strips, working your way around the fruit, so that you end up with a complete, peeled piece of fruit. Discard the peels or reserve them from another use. Cut the remaining lime into thin slices.
- Put the peeled limes in a blender; add the honey or agave, the strawberries, tequila, and salt; and blend until combined. Add the ice (see notes above—you likely will need to do this in batches) and let the machine run until the ice is totally blitzed and the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour into four glasses and garnish with the lime slices. Serve immediately.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
Keywords: paloma, slushie, strawberry