Fall Salad with Cabbage, Fennel, Manchego, and Candied Pepitas
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Shortly after making the candied pepitas last week, I threw them into a salad with shaved cabbage, fennel, greens and Manchego. It’s been years since I’ve made the effort to candy a nut or seed to throw into a salad, and I’ve forgotten how delicious and festive they are, this time of year especially.
Use the recipe below as guide. Here, I’ve used both vinegar and fresh citrus in my favorite shallot vinaigrette, but you if you don’t have an orange on hand, you can keep it simple. Here, cabbage and fennel are mixed with some tender greens and baby kale, but change the composition to your liking: slivered endive would be delicious as would thinly sliced apple or pear or segments of orange or a sprinkling of pomegranate arils. Shaved Manchego (though blue cheese or parmesan would be nice, too) plus the candied pepitas make the dregs of this salad pretty irresistible.
I don’t think a Thanksgiving salad needs to be anything more than greens plus a light dressing, but if you’re up for taking it a step further, this is a good option.
Question: Thanksgiving salad: essential or superfluous?
PS: More Thanksgiving ideas here.Print
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallot
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- juice of one orange
- pinch salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 1/4 to 1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 head fennel, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- a few handfuls of other greens: baby kale, arugula, whatever looks good
- candied pepitas, optional
- shaved Manchego to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: Place the shallots, vinegar, juice and pinch of salt in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil. Taste. Adjust with more olive oil to taste — there should be nice balance of sweet and sharp in the dressing, and it will be on the thin side.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, fennel, scallions, greens, candied pepitas, shaved Manchego, and pepper. Pour over some of the dressing. Toss. Taste. Adjust with more dressing or salt or pepper to taste.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fall, salad, greens, shallots, scallions, cabbage, fennel, candied, pepitas, vinaigrette