Original recipe calls for toasted pine nuts and basil, both of which sound delicious. I left them out mostly to simplify the recipe especially since I don’t have a kitchen, but I’m not sure I’d make the effort in the future. Time will tell.
Also, I’ve cut the portions back, to accommodate my little oven, so if you wish to make more — the original recipe calls for 4 to 5 lbs. of broccoli — visit either of the recipes linked to above.
- 2 lbs broccoli, from 3 to 4 small heads
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- zest from one lemon
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese—I microplane my parmesan and use about a heaping half cup, which weighs less than 1 ounce
- sea salt, such as Maldon, for finishing
- Heat the oven to 425° F.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Place on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of kosher salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat evenly. Spread into a single layer. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, the juice from half a lemon, and the parmesan. Taste. Add a drizzle more olive oil if the broccoli seems dry or tastes too sharp; add more fresh lemon if it needs more bite. Add a sprinkling of sea salt if it simply needs more seasoning. Add pepper to taste. Add more parmesan if you wish. In short: season to taste 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted, broccoli, lemon, garlic, parmesan