From Nigella Lawson’s How to Be a Domestic Goddess
Recently I made a double batch, which filled 4 of these bottles nicely. It is so pretty and makes such a nice gift—people are always so thrilled.
Here are the proportions for a near-double batch:
- 3+ lbs. rhubarb to yield about 2.25 lbs. trimmed/cut
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 1.75 L bottle vodka
Notes: When I made this recently, I realized after a few days the color had been leeched from the rhubarb but the hue of the schnapps was not very vibrant. This was because I had started with rhubarb that wasn’t very pink to begin with. So, I bought some more rhubarb—the brightest pink stalks I could find—chopped them up and added them to the jar… worked like a charm. SO, try, if you can, to start with pink stalks.
- 2 lbs. rhubarb* to yield about 1 1/4 lbs. once cleaned and trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 liter vodka, cheap is just fine
* Try to buy the brightest pink stalks you can find. See notes. See notes, too, for a double recipe.
- Chop the rhubarb and place in a large, sealable jar. Add the sugar. Shake. Add the vodka.
- Close the lid, put the jar somewhere cool and dark 3 to 4 weeks and up to 6 months. If you remember, shake the jars every so often.
- Strain schnapps into a pitcher; then pour into a bottle or bottles.