This is more of a guide: adjust the quantities to your tastes and to what you have on hand.
for the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallots
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar, I like Colavita brand
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
for the salad:
- a mix of greens, whatever you like: arugula, endive (thinly sliced), kale (thinly sliced), etc
- leftover roasted chicken, shredded
- shaved parmesan or Manchego, optional
- toasted pine nuts or other toasted nuts
- orange segments or diced apple or pear, optional
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk in olive oil. Taste. Adjust seasoning with more salt if necessary or more oil for a little less bite. Store in a glass jar. Shake well before using.
- Make the salad: Place the greens, chicken, cheese, if using, fruit, if using, and anything else you want to add to the salad in a large bowl. Pour over a little bit of the vinaigrette. Crack pepper to taste over top. Toss gently. Taste. Add more vinaigrette or pepper to taste. Serve.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, leftovers, chicken, shallot, vinaigrette