A few tips/notes:
- I’ve gotten in the habit of slicing bananas and freezing them in an airtight container. I lay a sheet of parchment paper over the slices of one whole banana, so I know how much to use for each smoothie.
- Nut butter: use what you like. I always buy/use salted.
- Depending on the size of the Medjool dates, you may only need one. If you like things a little sweeter, you may need two. You may not need them at all. My blender is old and does not do a great job whirring ingredients into a smooth purée, dates in particular. If you have the time, you can soak the dates in the almond milk, which softens them and makes them purée more smoothly. I do this first thing in the morning: pour a cup of almond milk into a 1-cup liquid measure; break up my date and drop it in. (UPDATE: I splurged on a Vitamix, which makes the whirring process a whole lot easier.)
- I bought hemp seeds on a whim after reading about them in books and blogs, and I now add a tablespoon to each smoothie. Hemp is a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, contains iron, magnesium, and vitamin E, and is a complete protein.
- Chia seeds. I always have chia seeds on hand because of this muesli, but I now add a tablespoon of chia seeds to each smoothie as well. Chia seeds have a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, minerals, and are also a complete protein.
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen (unfrozen is fine, too)
- handful of ice
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or other nut butter
- pinch sea salt
- 1 Medjool dates, pitted and torn into pieces, see notes above
- 2 to 4 ounces spinach (I use 4 ounces)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, optional
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, optional
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If blender gets stuck, stop it, jostle the ingredients with a knife, and purée again. If smoothie is too thick, add water or more almond milk till the purée is the consistency you like.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green, smoothie, banana, almond butter, almond milk, vegan, spinach