From Sarah Copeland’s: Every Day is Saturday.
I love the versatility of this sauce — I find myself dipping carrots into it when I need a snack to slathering it over toast for lunch to tossing it with grilled shrimp for dinner.
Avocado: I love the creaminess the avocado lends here, but in place of it you could use something, as Sarah says, “with body.” She offers miso, nuts, and tahini as alternatives to the avocado. I’ve been cutting 1 avocado in half and using the smaller half for this recipe.
For the green sauce:
- 1 bunch (about 3 cups, 3 ounces) fresh parsley, cilantro, arugula, mustard greens or a mix, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch chives (about 1 ounce), roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime (about 2 tablespoons), plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup avocado (see notes above)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the eggs + toast:
- eggs, however many you need
- extra-virgin olive oil
- good bread, sliced thickly
- flaky sea salt
- To make the sauce: Add the greens (stems and all), chives, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, avocado, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor. Pulse until broken down — add water by the tablespoon as needed to thin and get the blade whirring. Scrape down and pulse again until the sauce is broken down and easy to dollop with a spoon. Taste. Adjust taste as needed with more lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adjust consistency with more water or olive oil by the tablespoon.
- To make the toast: bring a small (or large depending on how many eggs you are cooking) pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath. Carefully lower the eggs into the pot of boiling water. Adjust heat so water is gently simmering. Cook 7 minutes. Transfer eggs to ice bath.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon (or more depending on how many slices of bread you are toasting) of olive oil. Toast bread on each side for 1-2 minutes, checking often to ensure the slices are browning evenly. Remove toast when the slices are golden and crisped to your liking.
- Smear green sauce over a slice of toast. Peel an egg. Cut it directly over the slice of toast into quarters. Sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with any remaining slices of toast and eggs.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sauce, green, herbs, avocado