From Danielle Kartes’s Rustic Joyful Food: My Heart’s Table
for the pesto:
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup (1.5 – 2 oz) Parmigiano Regiano, grated or coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (2.5 –3 oz) spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon, plus more to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
for the crostini:
- day- or days-old bread, sliced thinly
- olive oil
- sea salt
- To make the pesto: Place the almonds, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan, spinach, garlic, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Season with pepper to taste and a few pinches sea salt.
- Pulse 10 to 15 times until the mixture is finely chopped but not completely puréed. Scrape down the processor and pulse again if necessary. Transfer contents to a bowl.
- Stir half a cup of olive oil into the mixture. Taste. Add more olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- To make the crostini: Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place the thinly sliced bread on a sheet pan. Drizzle lightly all over with olive oil. Season lightly with sea salt. Transfer pan to the oven and toast for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Spread
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American/Italian
Keywords: almond, pesto, spinach, sun-dried tomato, garlic, lemon, olive oil, appetizer