Adapted from David Lebovitz’s recipe from Fine Cooking.
For the tart dough:
- 1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (114g) cold, cubed butter, salted or unsalted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (71 g) ice water
For the frangipane:
- 1/2 cup (54 g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter at room temperature
- 1 egg (small if possible)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, rum, brandy or bourbon
- 2 peaches, sliced thinly (1/4-inch or smaller)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, turbinado is nice
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Heat the oven to 400ºF and place a rack in the center of the oven. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt together. Add the cold, cubed butter to the food processor. Pulse 10 times at 1-second intervals until the butter is the size of peas. Add the ice water and pulse again 10 times at 1-second intervals until the mixture is crumbly but holds together when pinched. (See video for reference)
- Lay a clean tea towel on a work surface. Dump the crumbly dough mixture into the center. Grab the four corners of the towel together and twist to create a beggar’s purse, pressing the dough into a round. Use your hands to pack and pat the disk together. Transfer to fridge.
- Don’t wash the food processor! Combine almond flour, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and vanilla or alcohol in the dirty bowl of the food processor. Purée until smooth.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 12- to 14-inch round. Use as much flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking, and every few rolls, flip the dough over. Transfer dough to a parchment- or Silpat-lined sheetpan. Spoon the frangipane into the center leaving a 2-inch border. Arrange the peach slices in concentric circles starting at the outer edge of the frangipane. Fold the exposed edge of dough towards the center to make a rustic enclosure. Brush the edge of the dough with melted butter. Drizzle the remainder over the exposed peaches. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Remove pan from the oven and let rest on cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes or until Silpat or paper is cool enough to handle. Grab the edges of the paper or Silpat and slide to a cooling rack to cool further or to a cutting board to serve. Cut into wedges. Serve on its own or with vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Food Processor, Oven
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: foolproof, pastry, butter, food processor, frangipane, peaches