Adapted from Kristen Miglore’s recipe on Food52: Michel Richard’s Glazed and Glistening Haricots Verts
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water or stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed but not peeled
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan to taste, optional
- Combine the green beans, butter, water, and garlic cloves in a large skillet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cover the pot, place over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer, then immediately turn heat to low once water is simmering.
- Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the beans are cooked through but not mushy. Uncover. Toss the beans in their sauce and taste. Adjust with salt and pepper to taste, then transfer the beans to a serving dish. Shave parmesan over the top if you wish. Crack more pepper over the top if you wish, too.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, French
Keywords: green beans, stove top, butter, water, salt, parmesan