- 1.25–1.5 lbs. summer squash or zucchini
- kosher salt or Maldon Sea Salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Regianno, to taste
- 1/2 cup herbs, such as basil, parsley, chives, or tarragon
- Shave the zucchini and summer squash on a mandoline into thin coins or spaghetti-like strips. Alternatively, slice thinly with a knife. Place in a bowl. Season with a few big pinches salt and toss to coat.
- Add a few cracks of pepper, the lemon juice, and olive oil, and toss again. Taste. Adjust with more salt and lemon to taste.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the Pecorino or Parmesan into the bowl. Add the herbs and toss gently to combine. Taste once more and adjust with more pepper or cheese and herbs to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately or within an hour or so.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: summer, squash, salad, raw, Pecorino, lemon, herbs