- 10 tablespoons (142 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 cup (200 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, cold from the fridge
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt (3 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups (170 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) chopped salted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup (85 g) white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
- Flaky sea salt (optional), for sprinkling
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a small skillet or saucepan with a light-colored interior, melt 8 tablespoons (113 g) of the butter over medium heat. Once melted, cook the butter, stirring constantly, until the milk solids are deep golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons (29 g) cold butter, and the brown sugar. Whisk until combined and the butter melts, about 1 minutes. The mixture will be a bit grainy and separated.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and whisk until smooth, thick, and glossy, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the baking powder and soda. Fold in the flour with a spatula and when a few streaks of flour remain, add the nuts and chocolate. Mix until no streaks of flour remain and the chocolate and nuts are evenly distributed in the dough.
- Use a 1.5-tablespoon cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon to portion the dough into 22 cookies. Alternatively, portion the dough into 35-gram balls. At this point you can refrigerate the cookie dough balls until you are ready to bake or you can proceed: I find I can bake 8 cookies at a time on my half sheet pan. I like to flatten my portioned dough balls slightly after I transfer them to the sheet pan. Sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt, if using.
- Bake the cookies until just set with a few cracks on top, 9 to 11 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough balls. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Amerian
Keywords: white chocolate, salted macadamia nuts, brown butter