Source: Chez Panisse Vegetables
- 2 small shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice*
- ¼ teaspoon sugar (optional — this is not in the original recipe, but I always like a pinch of sugar)
- ½ teapoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
*As I noted above, you can substitute what you wish for the vinegar or citrus. You also could use only vinegar or only citrus juice. Use whatever you have on hand or whatever you like best.
- To make the dressing, place the shallots in a bowl with the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Stir and let the mixture sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly to make an emulsified dressing. Set aside.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes