Source: Everyday Food
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 4 leeks (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed well, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound short pasta, such as campanelle, orecchiette, or gemelli (I use more like 1/2 lb.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup), plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet. (I do not pour off any fat…) Add leeks, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until leeks are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add pasta to pot and cook according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and lemon zest and juice. Whisk 1/4 cup pasta water into egg mixture.
- Drain pasta and immediately add to egg mixture, along with bacon, leeks, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired and serve immediately.