Adapted from Franny’s: Simple Seasonal Italian by Andrew Feinberg, Francine Stephens, and Melissa Clark
Notes: I made some changes to the recipe, so if you want to follow the original recipe, omit the vinegar, and use 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more to taste.
Also, the original recipe calls for roasting the Brussels sprouts at 500ºF for 20-25 minutes. I’ve reduced the heat to 450ºF, which I find still gives the sprouts a nice char, while allowing them to cook all the way through. Original recipe also calls for whole almonds, which you toast and chop. I used sliced almonds for simplicity. (Lazy me.)
For video guidance, check out Instagram Stories.
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (or 2 tablespoons fresh lemon, see notes above)
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through the stem
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Ginepro or Manchego cheese (but not Pecorino Romano), broken into jagged 1/4-inch pieces or cubed
- Nice flaky sea salt for finishing, optional
- lemon for finishing, optional
- Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar to a simmer. Adjust the temperature so the vinegar stays at a gentle simmer and cook until it reduces by half. You’ll know it’s done when it coats the back of the spoon—err on the side of under-reducing. As it sits in the hot pan, it will continue to reduce.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, the salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Toss to evenly coat. Arrange the Brussels sprouts in a single layer on the roasting pan. Reserve the bowl. Roast for 15 minutes or until the sprouts begin to bronze and char in places. Transfer the Brussels sprouts to the reserved bowl and set them aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the almonds in a medium skillet and toast over low heat, until golden. If you can give them your full attention, you can crank up the heat, but watch closely—they’ll burn quickly. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add the toasted almonds, cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and reduced balsamic to the bowl with the Brussels Sprouts and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with sea salt (if you have it) and pepper. If desired, add a squeeze of lemon, too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven, Roasting
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: roasted, Brussels, sprouts, vinegar, balsamic, Manchego, Pecorino, almonds, side dish