This is a simplified version of this favorite recipe for classic chicken tinga.
This is the model Instant Pot I own.
If you can’t find chipotles in your local grocery store, you can try a Mexican grocery store or order it online: Goya Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
If you are making this in the summer or early fall, you can use fresh, chopped tomatoes in place of the canned.
Make it ahead: This tastes better by the day, so don’t be afraid to make it a day or two in advance.
This freezes well. Store in quart containers (or other) in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo sauce, see notes above
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, see notes above
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/2 to 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Warm up your Instant Pot by turning the sauté setting on. Once warm, add the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the sliced onion. Season with a pinch of salt and stir. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or util the onion begins to soften.
- Add the chipotles in adobo sauce, and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and water, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and season with a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot, and lock it into place. Change the settings to manual, high pressure. Set the time for 10 minutes. Be sure to turn the valve to seal.
- When the 10 minutes are up, turn the valve to release the steam. When the steam has released, turn the lid, and carefully remove it.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot, and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot, and stir.
- Add cilantro to taste, and stir. I like to let the mixture hang out for a bit (10 minutes or so) before I season it with salt to taste. Taste. Add salt to taste. Note: This tastes better by the day, so don’t be afraid to make it a day or two in advance.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot, chicken, tinga, simple, chipotle