If you have longed to make Trader Joe’s 3-ingredient lentil salad but have never been able to due to access to Trader Joe’s or the availability of their product, you’re in luck: here’s a from-scratch bruschetta sauce recipe.
- 1.5 lbs. tomatoes, such as Roma or hot house cluster or beefsteak
- 1 – 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, or a smaller amount of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced basil
- Finely chop the tomatoes and place them along with all of their juices in a large bowl. Season with 1 teaspoon sea salt (or 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt). Add the garlic, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Taste. Add more salt by the half teaspoon until it tastes properly seasoned. I consistently use 2 teaspoons of flaky Maldon sea salt for this recipe. Adjust with more olive oil if it tastes too sharp, and add more vinegar if you want more acidity. If you want a stronger basil flavor, add more. Note: Trader Joe’s version, as far as I can tell, is a bit more oily, so do add more olive oil if you like that richer flavor. This version, too, may seem a bit juicy or liquidy, and you may be tempted to strain out some of the juices. You can do so if you wish, but I find those juices to be so nice — so tasty! — especially when the sauce is being used to dress lentils or other grains.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: tomatoes, olive oil, white balsamic, garlic, basil, sea salt