Swapping avocado for mayonnaise sacrifices nothing here — the avocado adds creaminess, richness and flavor. If, however, you do not have an avocado, use 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise in its place.
I haven’t been making this egg salad with diced celery but if you like a bit more texture, add a finely diced stalk or two (1/4 to 1/2 cup).
For the egg salad:
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, cooked however you like (Instant Pot or stovetop), peeled and halved
- the flesh of 1 ripe avocado, see notes above
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 to 2 stalks finely diced celery, optional
For the toasts:
- 4 slices bread, whatever kind you like, about 1/2-inch thick, toasted
- a handful of sprouts or pea shoots or delicate greens
- In a large bowl, mash together the eggs, avocado, 2 tablespoons of the lemon, vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard using a pastry cutter or potato masher or whatever tool you have that will work best. Taste. Add the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice if you wish. Add the chives and celery, if using. Mix again. Taste. Adjust flavor as necessary with more salt, pepper, acid, etc.
- To make the toasts, mound as much avocado-egg salad as you wish onto each slice of toast. Top lightly with the sprouts. Serve.
- Category: Breakfast/Brunch
- Method: Toaster
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado, egg, salad, toast, sourdough, sprouts