Strawberries + Cream + Sugar = Heaven
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Here is a three-ingredient dessert (pudding!) my British father’s family served after every summer dinner we spent together: fresh berries + sugar + cream. There always was a wedge or two of cheese — often Stilton and Wensleydale — on the table as well, but as a child, all I cared about was the berries and cream.
Incredibly, I had not made this dessert for my children until a few weeks ago, when I spotted the first local strawberries at the market and could not resist buying them.
I mean, is there anything better than slicing into one of those berries and seeing RED from stem to tip?
I have now made this dessert for both a small gathering of friends as well as for my children, and I am re-remembering how this dessert is adored by adults and children alike. It has become my go-to when I can’t find the time to make a cobbler.
A Few Tips
- Use any berries you like: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Raspberries and strawberries are favorites.
- Use 2 tablespoons of cream per serving.
- Use about a teaspoon of sugar per serving. You may be tempted not to use any sugar given how sweet and perfect the berries are, but the sugar really adds and does not make the dessert too sweet. In fact, one day, when I skimped on the sugar because of said sweet and perfect berries, my son said: “Could use a pinch more sugar.” Rascal.
Step 1: Pour 2 tablespoons of cream into each bowl.
Step 2: Top with fresh berries.
Step 3: Sprinkle sugar over top.
Step 4: Devour.
This is a 3-ingredient dessert (pudding!) my British father’s family served after every summer dinner we spent together: fresh berries + sugar + cream.
Use any fresh summer berries you can get your hands on, though strawberries and raspberries are particularly good.
The recipe below is written for 1 serving. Scale up as needed.
- 2 tablespoons of cream
- a handful of fresh berries: raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries — any fresh, local berries you can get your hands on; a mix of berries is nice, too
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- Place cream in a small bowl.
- Wash berries if you haven’t already. Core strawberries and halve or quarter them if large. Drop a handful of berries on top of the cream.
- Sprinkle with sugar, using more or less to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: dessert, strawberries, British, cream, raspberries, berries, local, summer