CSA Weeks 1 & 2: Essential Recipes for Greens + Radish (or Turnip) Tartines with Anchovy Butter
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year 🙂 🙂 🙂
Weeks 1 and 2 of our Roxbury Farm CSA have been filled with beautiful greens, peppery radishes, and the most fragrant and delicate herbs.
Let’s review a few tips for preparing your vegetables for storage:
1. Always snip greens from roots: radishes, turnips, kohlrabi, carrots, beets, etc. Store the greens and roots in the fridge. I keep all of the greens in one bag and the roots in another bag — just my preference.
2. Always snip off rubber bands from anything they are binding — herbs, asparagus, radishes, etc.
3. Herbs: Store basil out of the fridge in a glass with the stems dipped into a little bit of water. Parsley and cilantro keep well in the fridge.
I have compiled all of my CSA Recipes and Tips here, but I’ve included a few essential recipes for using up all of those greens from your turnips and radishes as well as kale, broccoli rabe, and any other greens you might have on hand.
- Weeknight Carbonara loaded with Greens. I think this may be the most useful of all the recipes this time of year. You can use any greens—turnip, radish, kale, broccoli rabe, etc. It’s a super simple pasta dish and so, so tasty. How-to video on Instagram Stories.
- Fried Greens Meatless Balls. Another perfect outlet for all of those greens.
- Shallot vinaigrette. For the more delicate lettuces, there is nothing better. I made this 10-minute favorite no-cook summer meal last night, using the mixed greens, a few scallions, sliced radishes and turnips.
- Simple pickle recipe: I’ve been slicing the radishes and turnips and throwing them in salads, but pickling is a great option, and I absolutely love pickled radishes and turnips. I love pickled kohlrabi as well.
- Turnip Burgers.
- Anchovy Butter makes everything better. Recipe below. More ideas for radishes here.
- All the Herb Recipes here.
- Kale: Favorite kale salad, crustless quiche loaded with kale
What are you making with your CSA veg?
Recipe for the anchovy butter adapted from The New Greenmarket Cookbook .
for the anchovy butter:
- 1 stick softened butter
- 6 finely minced anchovies
- 1 minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon minced dill or basil and parsley (whatever you have on hand)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon
for the tartines:
- good bread, sliced and toasted
- thinly sliced radishes or turnips
- nice sea salt, such as Maldon
- Make the butter: Mix everything together. Taste. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Assemble the tartines: Spread bread with anchovy butter. Top with thinly sliced radishes or turnips. Season with salt.